Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thing #15 Library 2.0

I read 3 Library 2.0 articles and wow could not help but think back to my first years as a librarian and the job that we were trained to do. The days of the patron signing their name to check out a book, teaching how to use periodicals for research, checking out filmstrips and dukanes to teachers are just a memory. I remember doing inventory using my selflist drawers.
I think I like the computer age better. Students being able to check out books using computers and sometimes scanning their own has made the student more independent. Also, they love computers and getting to do research has been wonderful for them. I know that there are bad things out there for students to get into but with supervision we can guide them away from them.
I read the article 'On the way to the library experience of the future'. It did a great job of describing what our libraries will look like in the future.

2 comments:

VWB said...

I LOVED my shelflist drawers...I felt I had control of my little library world when all my cards were turned down and all my missing books paperclipped...
but I have learned to let it go!! :-)

Grendel said...

I know a secret about vwb. Ask her what the black markers were for! I think all three of us really like our new roles better and realize that we had to change with the times. Nothing stays the same, and we shouldn't, either!